What is whiplash
Whiplash is a term used to describe a sudden accelerate-decelerate force to the neck. This is often occur in rear-end motor vehicle accident when the driver/ passenger’s head is jolted forward and backward rapidly during the impact. These force may result in painful injuries to the ligaments, joints, muscles and nerves of the neck. Whiplash can have a significant impact to a person’s life and lead to long-term disability if it is not properly diagnosed and treated.
What are the symptoms
Symptoms of whiplash can vary significantly between people. The most commonly reported symptom is neck pain and/or stiffness. Other common symptoms include:
- Referred pain to the arm or back
- Numbness/ altered sensation in the arms or legs
- Dizziness or unsteadiness
- Visual and hearing difficulties
- Cognitive difficulties
- Psychological distress
These symptoms can occur immediately, or several days after the injury. If you have a significant whiplash injury, it is important to carry out a comprehensive medication examination to rule out any serious pathologies such as fracture of the spine or compression of the spinal cord.
Physiotherapy treatment – How can we help
The speed of recovery is different between individuals. Many people start to feel better after few days and weeks. According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, 70% of people will be fully recovered from whiplash injury within 3 months.
At Generation Physio, we aim to design a program that is tailored to the individual according to their symptoms and goals. We will conduct a comprehensive assessment at your own home and collaborate with you on what is required to return to your normal life, then we will set out a treatment program based on the current evidence and your needs.
Our treatment options for whiplash injuries include but not limited to:
- Reduce pain and stiffness by providing hands on techniques
- Restore joint range of motion by providing manual therapy and stretches
- Prescribe suitable exercise to increase the strength of your neck and upper back muscles
- Improve your neck movement control and eye-head coordination
- Provide advices regarding self-management, returning to work and/or coping with everyday activities
- Monitor and progress the treatment appropriately to ensure maximum outcomes
Are you ready? We come to you!
If you have a whiplash injury and do not want to travel to clinics, our home physiotherapy service will be ideal for you. If you are eligible for Work Cover or Motor Vehicle Accidents Compensation, your services will be bulk-billed and there will be no out-of-pocket fee. For more information, please contact us on 1300 122 884.