Falls prevention and exercise
Did you know that 1 in 3 adults over the age of 65 will suffer a fall every year. A fall is a sudden, unintentional change in position causing you to land at a lower level. These falls can lead to hospital stays, fractured bones & at times permanent damage. The most important information about falls is knowing how to take measures to prevent them. There are some common risk factors of falling below however these are not limited:
- Visual impairments (wearing glasses)
- Muscle weakness
- Older age
- Poor balance
- Environmental hazards ( stairs, rugs & lack of safety commitment)
- Low levels of physical activity
- Inappropriate footwear
How can you prevent a fall?
- Ensure you are wearing appropriate footwear (if your not sure, have a chat with one of our friendly podiatrists)
- Remove clutter and hazards from around the house
- Keep moving- physical activity is extremely important!
How can exercise help you?
There is strong evidence to suggest that exercise reduces falls in the older population by decreasing a number of the risk factors above. Not only does exercise improve your overall health but also improves muscle strength, balance, coordination, flexibility and overall mood.
What should you do now?
If you have suffered a fall or would like to take the measures to prevent falls in the future, give us a call at Generation Physio. All of our experienced clinicians are mobile and can come to your home to work with you and conduct a detailed examination. They can provide exercise programs to help prevent falls & strengthen your muscles. So what are you waiting for contact our friendly Administration team on 1300 122 994 to ensure you are being as safe as possible.